• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#1 Atticman

Atticman

Jupiter

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

In the thread about digital cameras, I posted a couple of pics as to how good a photo the one I use produce. I noticed a lot of bug activity in my yard, so I tried to catch a few.

Apparently there has been a praying mantis hatch near my house, as in around a month, I've seen 5 very young ones. I'd like to transplant them back to my rose bushes, so they can munch on the critters there.
There were 2 in close proximity when I took this, I just couldn't get them to agree to get side by side.

Attached Files

Edited by Atticman, 07 June 2008 - 03:30 PM.

".......though they'll never fathom it, behind my sarcasm, desperate memories lie........"

#2 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Considering they eat each other, it is not surprising that one did not want to accept the other's dinner invitation.
BlanketStealer's Significant Other

#3 Atticman

Atticman

Jupiter

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

This ladybug was on one of my roses.

Attached Files

".......though they'll never fathom it, behind my sarcasm, desperate memories lie........"

#4 pizzaguy

pizzaguy

My gas smells odd...

• SuperMods
  • 25,787 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

That second one proves it: good camera.

YOu might remind us WHICH camera this is.
"Ignorance is paradise to the arrogant" - Pizza on May 7, 2016

"Built on the Mercedes R170/SLK320 platform... the Crossfire has taken on, sort of, a cult following."

Del is a greedy asshat!  :woot: 

#5 MeteorWayne

MeteorWayne

Comet Dust Collector

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

This ladybug was on one of my roses.

Good Girl!! Eat those aphids!!!

Nice shot.

#6 MeteorWayne

MeteorWayne

Comet Dust Collector

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

Technically of course, not a bug but an arachnid, this is the biggest frellin' spider I've ever seen in over 50 years in NJ.
Body length was 3 CM (over an inch) and legspan 6 cm (over 2 inches).
The picture was taken under some duress, since I was under emphatic marching orders to
remove this critter from our patio screen door, as you can well imagine.

Based on the description and size, I believe it to be a Brownish-gray Fishing Spider (Dolomedes tenebrosus),
a bit out of it's range.
My Audubon book says the range is New England and adjacent Canada;
NJ ain't exactly New England, but perhaps it's GPS system got wet.

(Canon PowerShot A550)

Attached Files

Edited by MeteorWayne, 15 June 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#7 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

Pretty darn good pic, especially that first one.
BlanketStealer's Significant Other

#8 MeteorWayne

MeteorWayne

Comet Dust Collector

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Pretty darn good pic, especially that first one.

Yeah, the second (which was actually my first attempt) came out way overexposed, because the camera picked a focal point on the other side of the screen, so overflashed. I just included it for context. The second time (still learning how to use the macro function on the camera) I made sure it picked the right spot.
BTW, I told the spider there's tasty people in eastern PA :P

#9 Atticman

Atticman

Jupiter

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

Well, it was my first time out in the woods to play Army after being sent to Fort Hood, Texas. I rolled my butt out of my tent and was throwing on my clothes. I had one boot on, and was about to sink my foot into the other when my tentmate said, "You didn't shake your boot out."
"What?", I asked, with boot in hand.
"You didn't shake your boot out. Out here at night, things have a tendency to crawl into your stuff. In the morning you should shake out your stuff so you don't get bit by something strange."

And then...........

Laughing, as I turned my boot upside down and began shaking it, I said, "Don, you shouldn't try to bul&*%it me this early in the morning."

And out came this 6-7 inch baby!! Landed upside down(notice the rocks stuck to it), and bounced upright onto my booted foot.

I kind of freaked, might have set a couple of long jump records. He was stunned in some way, because he ended up near one of Texas' famous red ant hills. They attacked the tarantula. When I find the photo of the red ants trying to pull a leg into a hole, I will post it.

Attached Files

#10 Atticman

Atticman

Jupiter

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

And Pizza....I'm using a Kodak EasyShare Z710.

Attached Files

#11 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:22 AM

Fortunately I never had one of those visitors when "camping out" at Ft. Hood. Dang, I would have freaked too!

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

Ex-bureaucrat, at your service

It's tough to learn from the past, if they keep re-writing history.

#12 thespacecowboy

thespacecowboy

Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:25 AM

I don't have any pics of it, but last week a guy at work here almost got bit by a brown recluse spider. They look like this guy...

And for those with a strong stomach checkout the damage from one bite. Ouch.

http://www.e-bug.net...s/spiders.shtml
Lois: Together we can do anything: face any foe, overcome any obstacle.
Peter: Yeah, climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, Lois, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Brian: What the hell are you talking about? ---Family Guy

#13 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

I'll pass on the link as I have seen, first hand, the damage. The two spiders to watch out for down here (GA) is that little rascal and the Black Widow.

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

#14 pizzaguy

pizzaguy

My gas smells odd...

• SuperMods
  • 25,787 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

I'll pass on the link as I have seen, first hand, the damage. The two spiders to watch out for down here (GA) is that little rascal and the Black Widow.

It is my understanding that the Brown Recluse is usually found in dark, protected spaces - like under your house, etc.

For those of us new-arrivals, where should I look out for BW's and BR's?
"Ignorance is paradise to the arrogant" - Pizza on May 7, 2016

"Built on the Mercedes R170/SLK320 platform... the Crossfire has taken on, sort of, a cult following."

Del is a greedy asshat!  :woot: 

#15 DelphinusPrime

DelphinusPrime

I like it here.

• Admin
  • 70,596 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

This is still the biggest kind of spider I have ever seen:

Posted Image

That's a camel spider for those who have never seen one.
"Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
!rotinom ruoy edisni kcuts m'I ,pleH
"When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you about it, that means they're giving up."

#16 LSBD

LSBD

Voice of Reason

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image

damn, I hate those guys.
"We're on an express elevator to hell: Goin' down!"

"you never know what a monkey might do to a child"

#17 thespacecowboy

thespacecowboy

Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

It is my understanding that the Brown Recluse is usually found in dark, protected spaces - like under your house, etc.

Well here we cover our "product" in blankets to protect it from scratching ect... This one came right out of one of those blankets. There not very big either, which is the scary part....
Lois: Together we can do anything: face any foe, overcome any obstacle.
Peter: Yeah, climb any mountain, rent any video, dial any phone. And not just our phone, Lois, other people's phones. Decent phones, God-fearing phones, phones that everybody else gave up on, but we knew better because we were a team!
Brian: What the hell are you talking about? ---Family Guy

#18 StarPilot

StarPilot

Airhead

• Members
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Posted Image

No, that's a dog. With a few too many legs. And different looking.

HOLY CRAP! You could put a frelling collar and leash on that thing!!!

Edited by StarPilot, 16 June 2008 - 03:17 PM.

#19 LSBD

LSBD

Voice of Reason

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

No, that's a dog. With a few too many legs. And different looking.

HOLY CRAP! You could put a frelling collar and leash on that thing!!!

try getting a good night's sleep when you keep hearing one of those guys scuttling around in your tent.
"We're on an express elevator to hell: Goin' down!"

"you never know what a monkey might do to a child"

#20 DelphinusPrime

DelphinusPrime

I like it here.

• Admin
  • 70,596 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, they definitely aren't fun to hang out with. Makes you want to reach for the can of hairspray and torch lighter. Arachnophobia reference anyone...anyone??
"Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you about it, that means they're giving up."

#21 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

Same place. dark damp places, if you're going under for the first time, take a good light and a broom, and wear full clothing. Then plant a bug bomb under there.

Forgot to mention, they like to reside in water well caps/houses too.

#22 StarPilot

StarPilot

Airhead

• Members
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, they definitely aren't fun to hang out with. Makes you want to reach for the can of hairspray and torch lighter. Arachnophobia reference anyone...anyone??

I wonder why no one at work has ever mentioned them.

Same place. dark damp places, if you're going under for the first time, take a good light and a broom, and wear full clothing. Then plant a bug bomb under there.

Forgot to mention, they like to reside in water well caps/houses too.

I remember an email at work a year or so ago about the Brown Recluses and how nasty they can be. A friend's boyfriend used to live in North Carolina and got bit in the face by one, and apparently almost didn't make it.

A guy in my shop is an ex-park ranger, and spiders are one of his, uh, passions. They aren't one of mine though... I've used 10 bug bombs over the last 2 days in our new basement. Of course, prior to move in. If one of those "dogs" was in there, I think I'd just burn it the hell to the ground.

Edited by StarPilot, 16 June 2008 - 06:28 PM.

#23 DelphinusPrime

DelphinusPrime

I like it here.

• Admin
  • 70,596 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

Spiders aren't really that bad. Just have to pay attention and know what you are dealing with. I often like to see a few on my balcony or just outside my door since they take care of all the other bugs that like to bite me.

#24 dmartin95

dmartin95

Resident Computer Geek

• Members
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

Spiders aren't really that bad. Just have to pay attention and know what you are dealing with. I often like to see a few on my balcony or just outside my door since they take care of all the other bugs that like to bite me.

I hate spiders and If I came across one of those freakin camel spiders, this would be me, :flirt:
Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton (1885 - 1945)
"War is atrocity committed in the name of survival" - Javik

#25 Yevaud

Yevaud

Dances With Lunatics

• Members
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

Well, it was my first time out in the woods to play Army after being sent to Fort Hood, Texas. I rolled my butt out of my tent and was throwing on my clothes. I had one boot on, and was about to sink my foot into the other when my tentmate said, "You didn't shake your boot out."
"What?", I asked, with boot in hand.
"You didn't shake your boot out. Out here at night, things have a tendency to crawl into your stuff. In the morning you should shake out your stuff so you don't get bit by something strange."

And then...........

Laughing, as I turned my boot upside down and began shaking it, I said, "Don, you shouldn't try to bul&*%it me this early in the morning."

And out came this 6-7 inch baby!! Landed upside down(notice the rocks stuck to it), and bounced upright onto my booted foot.

I kind of freaked, might have set a couple of long jump records. He was stunned in some way, because he ended up near one of Texas' famous red ant hills. They attacked the tarantula. When I find the photo of the red ants trying to pull a leg into a hole, I will post it.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me in the Army, only it was a tiny, green translucent Scorpion that fell out...
Flying In A Blue Dream...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users