970 replies to this topic

#1 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

http://antwrp.gsfc.n...d/ap091225.html

The graceful arc of the Milky Way begins and ends at two mountain peaks in this solemn night sky panorama. Created from a 24 frame mosaic, exposures tracking Earth and sky were made separately, with northern California's Mount Lassen at the left and Mount Shasta at the far right, just below the star and dust clouds of the galactic center. Lassen and Shasta are volcanoes in the Cascade Mountain Range of North America, an arc of the volcanic Pacific Ring of Fire. In the dim, snow-capped peaks, planet Earth seems to echo the subtle glow of the Milky Way's own faint, unresolved starlight.

This is image gives you a sense of what it means to live inside our galaxy.

Rather than start a new thread for every good-looking image, this tread will house them all. While the thread is in the Astrometrics forum, I expect other non-astronomy beautiful images to come in here later from me and other people. The admin crew might even move a post from other miscellaneous threads to this one when they find them, rather than leaving them splattered about.

Attached File  Arc_of_the_Milky_Way_Hallas.jpg   307.92KB   12 downloads
  • orion3814 likes this
BlanketStealer's Significant Other

#2 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,570 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I think it's a great idea, and a stunning start to the thread!

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

Ex-bureaucrat, at your service

It's tough to learn from the past, if they keep re-writing history.

#3 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Robert Gendler took this shot of the Hourglass Nebula M-8, although he wrote no text on it. Rotated 90 degrees it would look better, but I could not crop it enough for a good wallpaper without losing too much detail.

Attached File  Hourglass_Nebula_M_8_1a_Gendler.jpg   229.38KB   2 downloads
  • orion3814 likes this

#4 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,570 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Did you try to rotate it 90 degrees? should be more than enough detail left for a fantastic desktop image after cropping it.

excellent image, none-the-less.

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

#5 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

At your suggestion I rotated it 90 degrees counter clockwise. Then the trick was to crop the resulting image vertically to an exact 1:6 aspect ratio. Since the width was now 1,624 pixels, I cut the vertical height from 1,600 to 1,015 pixels. I took some off both the top and bottom, creating this image. It will make a good background for laptops that are not optimized for watching movies. Those, having become popular in the last six months, would need a few more pixels trimmed off the top and bottom. Regardless, Windows will stretch and compress the image when using it as a desktop background; it does not need to show true shapes. Being off a trace, it should still look good.

Attached File  Hourglass_Nebula_M_8_1c_Gendler.jpg   156.44KB   2 downloads

#6 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,570 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

See? I knew you could do it... :blink:

#7 dmartin95

dmartin95

Resident Computer Geek

• Members
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a "Rainbow Nebula" in the first picture?
Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton (1885 - 1945)
"War is atrocity committed in the name of survival" - Javik

#8 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

Do you mean that arc near the top extending from the left side to about 2/3 the way across the image?

#9 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

How about a shot of our middle-aged Sun.
Attached File  Sun_4c.jpg   144.43KB   3 downloads

Maybe we should pick a calmer day, one with a little less turmoil. Sorta.
Attached File  Sun_1a.jpg   118.56KB   1 downloads

#10 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,570 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

considering the size of the flares shown in those two pics... Darn glad they weren't aimed at us!

#11 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

The Sun's a hundred times Earth's diameter. We would fit inside the curl of one of those flares.

#12 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,570 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

Oh, I knew that. I was just referring to the charged particles thrown out by one of the flares could play havoc with our systems here... Still, it would make a great display above the Arctic circle. Hmmm, gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

Edited by Dewtey, 26 December 2009 - 12:11 PM.
typo fixed

#13 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

http://www.nasa.gov/...ature_1561.html

This is a close up sodium chloride crystal view in a water bubble within a 50-millimeter metal loop. It was part of an experiment in the Destiny laboratory aboard the International Space Station and photographed by the Expedition 6 crew.

Attached File  Salt_Crystals_from_the_ISS_1d.jpg   479.12KB   3 downloads

#14 ElGuapoGuano

ElGuapoGuano

Bronze

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Keep the cool pics comin' people...

Here are a couple of my favorites....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 cosmicdustbunnie

cosmicdustbunnie

Confectionery Based Existentialist

• Members
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

At your suggestion I rotated it 90 degrees counter clockwise. Then the trick was to crop the resulting image vertically to an exact 1:6 aspect ratio. Since the width was now 1,624 pixels, I cut the vertical height from 1,600 to 1,015 pixels. I took some off both the top and bottom, creating this image. It will make a good background for laptops that are not optimized for watching movies. Those, having become popular in the last six months, would need a few more pixels trimmed off the top and bottom. Regardless, Windows will stretch and compress the image when using it as a desktop background; it does not need to show true shapes. Being off a trace, it should still look good.

Attached File  Hourglass_Nebula_M_8_1c_Gendler.jpg   156.44KB   2 downloads

this is wonderful,so eerie
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes

#16 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

http://antwrp.gsfc.n...d/ap100115.html
This Orion Constellation starfield comes from APOD, entitled "Scenes from Two Hemispheres".

Attached File  TwoHemispheresTafreshi.jpg   134.4KB   3 downloads
Attached File  TwoHemispheresTafreshi_Labeled_900.jpg   82.57KB   0 downloads

#17 Cordelia

Cordelia

Gold

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Thanks Madprop - for the new desktop photos - gorgeous!
Bring back Roguesaint and Sloracer

#18 StarPilot

StarPilot

Airhead

• Members
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Oh, I knew that. I was just referring to the charged particles thrown out by one of the flares could play havoc with our systems here... Still, it would make a great display above the Arctic circle. Hmmm, gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

One night in November of 2001 and most of the fall of 2003 had incredibly impressive shows visible across the entire sky here ... in Pennsylvania. At 40degN latitude. I was in the middle of a well-lit town for Halloween of '03, and could STILL see the display clearly. I skipped my Spanish class the day after the Nov '01 display because I stayed up all night watching what I thought I'd never see again. Pissed off the old bitch pretty bad. I ended up failing that class.

#19 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

Considering how long you will remember that, it was worth it.

#20 StarPilot

StarPilot

Airhead

• Members
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

It scared the living crap out of me at first. No lie. I was getting in my car at my moms, after sunset. I saw very deep magenta rays coming from the western horizon, but not lined up with the sun. Then, I thought "man, there must be a pretty big fire over there" but realized, it wasn't dancing or flickering. That transitioned into "I'm witnessing the events of Revelation." It took a full 10 seconds probably before it finally dawned on me the descriptions I've heard of aurora. I was beyond excited - add that to the list of emotions I'd experienced - so the way I tore through the back door screaming at my mom to come out made her think the "Revelation" assessment was the most accurate. By the time we got out there, the magenta had grown fingers of yellow with green tips. I was meeting my girlfriend at her place, but couldn't get there fast enough - I didn't want to take too long and risk not standing outside gawking at it before it went away. During the drive, I watched it stretch across the northern horizon in a band of pale green. In the 15 minutes it took me to get to her house, the band stretched from the west to the north east and had fingers extendinging probably 20 degrees into the sky. Over the next few hours, it grew to take up the whole northern half of the sky, and then some. Even with the practically full moon, it was visible into the wee hours of the morning. I didn't get to sleep until after 5am. So yes, that memory is well worth ditching a ridiculous Spanish class and pissing off an already piss poor teacher. I'd have skipped damn near any class for that, because I wasn't a coffee drinker at the time! My mom had described seeing it 20 years earlier, and I didn't want to wait another 20 years to see it and enjoy it.

This is pretty well how I remember it being, but of course, pictures never do it justice.
Attached File  Northern_Lights_canada_2252056_390_293.jpg   10.14KB   0 downloads

Edited by StarPilot, 20 January 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#21 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,570 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

If it looked better than that, I'm speachless!

#22 Proplyd

Proplyd

Thinker

• Members
  • 31,782 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

I've never seen an Aurora, but some of the images of them are incredible. This on over Yellowknife is particularly good. You have to trim it horizonatlly to make a good desktop. Otherwise Windows will squash it horizontally, and make the Moon look skinny. Just know your aspect ratio, and crop it to something close. The result will look good.

Attached File  Aurora_over_Yellowknife_1a_Takasaka.jpg   115.35KB   4 downloads

#23 StarPilot

StarPilot

Airhead

• Members
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

That's made it's way through here before, but in such a thread, it stands alone.

You have a habit of sharing some of the most beautiful sights in this universe with us. Thanks.

#24 XZG 1138

XZG 1138

Professional thread killer. Services for hire.

• Members
  • 8,405 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

from the Black Rock desert in NW Nevada

Fly Geyser - man made decades ago by farmers or ranchers drilling for water.

Attached File  Fly_geyser_rs.jpg   385.13KB   2 downloads

magnificent desolation on Earth
Attached File  Kluft_photo_Black_Rock_Desert_Aug_2005_Img_5081_DT_uns.jpg   255.68KB   2 downloads

color corrected
Attached File  Kluft_photo_Black_Rock_Desert_Aug_2005_Img_5081_DT_cc.jpg   263.65KB   6 downloads

not my personal photos BTW.
  • silylene likes this
'The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.' - (John) Stapp's Law
------
Religion is not the opiate of the masses, corporate pop culture is.

#25 StarPilot

StarPilot

Airhead

• Members
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

Rather than start a new thread for every good-looking image, this tread will house them all.

Don't tread on me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users