7 replies to this topic

#1 Mee_n_Mac

Mee_n_Mac

Appropriately Attired

• Members
  • 9,689 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

https://www.space.co...hts-sept-6.html

People as far south as Ohio and Indiana may be able to see the northern lights Wednesday night (Sept. 6), thanks to a powerful sun storm.

On Monday (Sept. 4), the sun blasted out a huge cloud of superheated plasma known as a coronal mass ejection (CME). This fast-moving CME is expected to slam into Earth overnight Wednesday, triggering strong geomagnetic storms.

Such storms often supercharge Earth's auroras, the ghostly displays of dancing color also known as the northern and southern lights. And that could be the case Wednesday night through early Thursday morning (Sept. 7): Auroras are likely to extend southward into the continental United States, from Washington and Idaho in the West to Indiana and Ohio in the Midwest and New England in the Northeast, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC).

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance. The latter are a lot more common than the former.

#2 XZG 1138

XZG 1138

Professional thread killer. Services for hire.

• Members
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Dang nabbit, I was just about to start a thread on this. Mac is evil. ;-p

http://www.swpc.noaa...due-cme-arrival

'The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.' - (John) Stapp's Law
------
Religion is not the opiate of the masses, corporate pop culture is.

#3 Atticman

Atticman

Jupiter

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

I'd wonder if this was the cause of my car radio not working good on the way to work Thursday morning........

Two stations I listen to, the same thing on both. Usually I switch from one to the other 10-30 miles down the road. Thursday, I pretty much had the first one static out on me 5 miles along my route, second never came in until I was almost to work, and there was plenty of static in the signal. That was 6:30-8 a.m. On drive home, everything was fine.     

Edited by Atticman, 08 September 2017 - 05:21 PM.

".......though they'll never fathom it, behind my sarcasm, desperate memories lie........"

#4 Ath3na

Ath3na

Chaotic Neutral

• Members
  • 21,199 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

Some possibility, it was a G4-class storm.  HF was definitely impacted. 

Infosec:
A profession that turns normal people into whiskey drinking, swearing, paranoid, disheartened curmudgeons with no hope for the future of computers or humanity. - Urban Dictionary

---

Jus meum tuebor

---
Who is John Galt?

#5 Mee_n_Mac

Mee_n_Mac

Appropriately Attired

• Members
  • 9,689 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

Did anyone see any aurora activity ? I was clouded over.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance. The latter are a lot more common than the former.

#6 Ath3na

Ath3na

Chaotic Neutral

• Members
  • 21,199 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

About 10 degrees too high for me.
Infosec:
A profession that turns normal people into whiskey drinking, swearing, paranoid, disheartened curmudgeons with no hope for the future of computers or humanity. - Urban Dictionary

---

Jus meum tuebor

---
Who is John Galt?

#7 Bill Slugg

Bill Slugg

Bill Slugg

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

I saw lots of auroras canoeing in northern Ontario. I remember looking down during one bright display in the dead of a moonless night. Reading a newspaper would have been possible, but difficult. Actually, Venus and Jupiter have been shown to cast a shadow. Starlight, itself, in a dark sky is almost sufficient for reading but I can't do it. Warning, warning! If you go south of the equator, all the constellations are upside down. You have to rotate your newspaper 180°. 

Edited by Bill Slugg, 10 September 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#8 newsartist

newsartist

**MODERATOR**

• Moderators
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

In '82, I was on the way to the Toronto airshow when a rocker arm broke on my AMC.

All the way out the Thruway from Albany, (sunset),we could see a bright white/gold aurora.

In a rest area outside Buffalo we pulled the broken pieces and pressed on with 6 cylinders.  Flashlights went off quickly and we did the job by aurora light,

All my own cars borrowed a racing trick.  The under hood and side walls of the Mouse House were painted white. This lets you fasten a flashlight anywhere and have reflection to work by. (Handy if there are no spare hands!)

• Bill Slugg likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users