Pitcher Roy Halladay dead in crash

19 replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Pluto

• Members
  • 24,694 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:17 AM

Phillies & Blue Jays, age 40. 8x All Star, 2x Cy Young, playoff no hitter, perfect game, Hall of Fame lock.

His first off the line ICON A5 light-sport aircraft crashed in the Gulf 10 miles west of St. Petersburg, FL.

http://m.tmz.com/#!a...ll-pitcher-mlb/
myguns550-2.jpg

The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one can't stay in the cradle forever
~~ Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#2 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,768 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Rest in piece.

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

Ex-bureaucrat, at your service

It's tough to learn from the past, if they keep re-writing history.

#3 TheBigCat

TheBigCat

Gold

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

Can't see the whole plane but it looks like a small flying boat configuration. Always struck me as an inefficient pusher design, seems half the airscrew's rotation is chewing the dead air behind the cockpit, 

#4 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,768 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

Pretty sure aerodynamics will ensure plenty of wind flowing through the propeller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICON_A5

My guess, and that's all it is, engine failure and a tall wave upon landing flipped the bird then he drowned before he could get out.

Side note, the Wiki page has already been updated with this incident.

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

Ex-bureaucrat, at your service

It's tough to learn from the past, if they keep re-writing history.

#5 SJQ

SJQ

Uranus

• Members
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Heard on the radio that he signed a one-day contract in Toronto, so that he could retire as a Blue Jay.  I'm not a baseball fanatic, but I know he was here for 12 seasons.  I don't think a whole lot of T.O. (I live here), but I guess he really liked it here. 

Condolences to his family.

Flying is merely the second greatest thrill ever....   .....landing is the first!

Stinson's Law: Just because you can see a part, it doesn't mean you can get at it.

#6 CommonMan

CommonMan

Platinum

• Members
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

RIP

I guess I will live a long time, I’m not famous, not a singer, or rapper, don’t fly planes or race cars, not a movie star or drug user or seller, don’t owe the mob, and I don’t have any dirt on Clintons that I could prove…

• Dewtey likes this

#7 DocM

DocM

Pluto

• Members
  • 24,694 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Heard a report on TMZ that he was doing some aerobatics. Not sure if that's a wise idea with a serial number 000001.
myguns550-2.jpg

#8 SJQ

SJQ

Uranus

• Members
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Only the good die young, CM.   And by that measure, I'm pretty close to immortal.....   :moose:

And yeah, radical flight maneuvers, by anyone other than an experienced aerobatic pilot, in the first-off aircraft is just begging for trouble.   I don't think that design has many hours of flight in normal flight modes, and IIRC, that design has already killed a company test pilot.

Flying is merely the second greatest thrill ever....   .....landing is the first!

Stinson's Law: Just because you can see a part, it doesn't mean you can get at it.

#9 Archer17

Archer17

Neptune

• Members
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

:( 

I remember watching his no-hitter against the Reds in the 2010 playoffs (he also had a perfect game earlier the same season).

RIP

The plural of anecdote is not data.

#10 Ath3na

Ath3na

Chaotic Neutral

• Members
  • 21,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

Heeeeeee's OUTTATHAR!

[too soon?]

• Atticman likes this
Infosec:
A profession that turns normal people into whiskey drinking, swearing, paranoid, disheartened curmudgeons with no hope for the future of computers or humanity. - Urban Dictionary

---

Jus meum tuebor

---
Who is John Galt?

#11 Scottb64

Scottb64

Neptune

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

The A5 is a Light Sport aircraft with a 100hp engine nd a top speed of 121 mph. With added structure for water use it needed a exception to the the weight limit. Definitely not a hot rod, unless flown that way.

#12 Ath3na

Ath3na

Chaotic Neutral

• Members
  • 21,805 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

And a Lamborghini isn't a hotrod... Unless it's driven that way.

A supercomputer isn't a hotrod... Unless it's programmed that way.

The whole premise is predictably stupid.
Infosec:
A profession that turns normal people into whiskey drinking, swearing, paranoid, disheartened curmudgeons with no hope for the future of computers or humanity. - Urban Dictionary

---

Jus meum tuebor

---
Who is John Galt?

#13 DocM

DocM

Pluto

• Members
  • 24,694 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

https://www.avweb.co...h-229948-1.html

NTSB Issues Preliminary Report on Halliday Crash

The last data point captured by the flight data recorder on Roy Hallidays Icon A5 before his fatal crash shows the light sport at 200 feet above the water with a speed of 87 knots, says the NTSB. The preliminary report says a witness told investigators that he saw the airplane perform a climb to between 300 and 500 feet on a southerly heading and then turn and descend on an easterly heading about a 45° nose-down attitude. He then saw the airplane impact the water and nose over. The NTSB did not say how often the A5s black box samples speed and altitude data, so its unclear from the report how much time may have elapsed between the last data point and impact with the water. As a light sport aircraft, the A5 is required to have a stall speed no higher than 45 knots.

Roy Halliday had been flying as low as 11 feet above ground level and as close as 75 feet to homes in his new Icon A5 before the fatal accident on November 7, says the NTSB report.

The 11-foot pass recorded by the A5s flight data recorder shows Halliday traveling at 92 knotscruising speed for Rotax-powered the amphibian. The NTSB reports that the safety pin on the airframe parachute was still installed in the activation handle at the time of the crash. Icon checklists call for the pin to be removed prior to flight. Hallidays logbook included 703.9 hours of total flight experience, including 51.8 hours in the Icon A5, according to the NTSB.

myguns550-2.jpg

#14 Scottb64

Scottb64

Neptune

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

A 45 degree descent from 200 feet and a rapid pull up would probably cause rapid stall.

#15 newsartist

newsartist

**MODERATOR**

• Moderators
  • 28,272 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

You can stall an airplane at any speed.

I am curious as to whose houses he buzzed before the accident. 

#16 steve82

steve82

Terra

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Despite the newness of the plane, he had over 50 hours in type and over 700 total.

https://app.ntsb.gov...Prelim&IType=FA

There was a popular air show pilot and cropduster down in these parts years ago who had a routine he flew in a Bucker Jungmeister.  He was also a flight instructor and legend is that at one of the local Flight instructor safety meetings the subject of buzzing accidents came up and his input was that they were going about it the wrong way-if you wanted to prevent students from getting killed in buzzing accidents, instead of telling them not to buzz, you should teach them how to buzz properly.

• Dewtey and SJQ like this

#17 Scottb64

Scottb64

Neptune

• Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Makes sense to me.

#18 newsartist

newsartist

**MODERATOR**

• Moderators
  • 28,272 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

There was a popular air show pilot and cropduster down in these parts years ago who had a routine he flew in a Bucker Jungmeister......

Who was that?

Bevo Howard was the only Jungmeister act that I remember. His had been brought from Germany as cargo on the Hindenberg!

Bucker JungMAN perhaps?

Edited by newsartist, 22 November 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#19 SJQ

SJQ

Uranus

• Members
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

My brother-in-law (a pilot) recently came back from a vacation in New Zealand; he makes a point of flying in whichever country he ends up in.  Gonna have to look into this, but apparently LOW flying is part of your basic pilot license - you have to demonstrate some aptitude at what is illegal in Canada and the US.  Something about knowing how to do it right being an asset to your chances of survival; Steve82's post, in essence.

Sounds like a plan to me, but I suspect NZ isn't as bogged down with lawyers and bureaucrats; the ones who have trouble operating a desk, never mind an aircraft....

#20 steve82

steve82

Terra

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

There was a popular air show pilot and cropduster down in these parts years ago who had a routine he flew in a Bucker Jungmeister......

Who was that?

Bevo Howard was the only Jungmeister act that I remember. His had been brought from Germany as cargo on the Hindenberg!

Bucker JungMAN perhaps?

It was Bube Herring IIRC.  However now you have me confused, there was a bucker something-or-other at one of the shows he was in, but now I'm wondering because I only saw him fly once:

https://www.iac.org/...tail/3843/10230

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users