Pitcher Roy Halladay dead in crash

11 replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Pluto

• Members
  • 23,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:17 AM

Phillies & Blue Jays, age 40. 8x All Star, 2x Cy Young, playoff no hitter, perfect game, Hall of Fame lock.

His first off the line ICON A5 light-sport aircraft crashed in the Gulf 10 miles west of St. Petersburg, FL.

http://m.tmz.com/#!a...ll-pitcher-mlb/
myguns550-2.jpg

The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one can't stay in the cradle forever
~~ Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#2 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Rest in piece.

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

Ex-bureaucrat, at your service

It's tough to learn from the past, if they keep re-writing history.

#3 TheBigCat

TheBigCat

Gold

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

Can't see the whole plane but it looks like a small flying boat configuration. Always struck me as an inefficient pusher design, seems half the airscrew's rotation is chewing the dead air behind the cockpit, 

#4 Dewtey

Dewtey

Pure bred American Mutt

• Members
  • 45,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

Pretty sure aerodynamics will ensure plenty of wind flowing through the propeller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICON_A5

My guess, and that's all it is, engine failure and a tall wave upon landing flipped the bird then he drowned before he could get out.

Side note, the Wiki page has already been updated with this incident.

... If you have to add anything to your coffee, you should probably switch to tea...

Ex-bureaucrat, at your service

It's tough to learn from the past, if they keep re-writing history.

#5 SJQ

SJQ

Saturn

• Members
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Heard on the radio that he signed a one-day contract in Toronto, so that he could retire as a Blue Jay.  I'm not a baseball fanatic, but I know he was here for 12 seasons.  I don't think a whole lot of T.O. (I live here), but I guess he really liked it here. 

Condolences to his family.

Flying is merely the second greatest thrill ever....   .....landing is the first!

Stinson's Law: Just because you can see a part, it doesn't mean you can get at it.

#6 CommonMan

CommonMan

Platinum

• Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

RIP

I guess I will live a long time, I’m not famous, not a singer, or rapper, don’t fly planes or race cars, not a movie star or drug user or seller, don’t owe the mob, and I don’t have any dirt on Clintons that I could prove…

• Dewtey likes this

#7 DocM

DocM

Pluto

• Members
  • 23,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Heard a report on TMZ that he was doing some aerobatics. Not sure if that's a wise idea with a serial number 000001.
myguns550-2.jpg

The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one can't stay in the cradle forever
~~ Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#8 SJQ

SJQ

Saturn

• Members
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Only the good die young, CM.   And by that measure, I'm pretty close to immortal.....   :moose:

And yeah, radical flight maneuvers, by anyone other than an experienced aerobatic pilot, in the first-off aircraft is just begging for trouble.   I don't think that design has many hours of flight in normal flight modes, and IIRC, that design has already killed a company test pilot.

Flying is merely the second greatest thrill ever....   .....landing is the first!

Stinson's Law: Just because you can see a part, it doesn't mean you can get at it.

#9 Archer17

Archer17

Uranus

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

:( 

I remember watching his no-hitter against the Reds in the 2010 playoffs (he also had a perfect game earlier the same season).

RIP

The plural of anecdote is not data.

#10 Ath3na

Ath3na

Chaotic Neutral

• Members
  • 21,199 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

Heeeeeee's OUTTATHAR!

[too soon?]

• Atticman likes this
Infosec:
A profession that turns normal people into whiskey drinking, swearing, paranoid, disheartened curmudgeons with no hope for the future of computers or humanity. - Urban Dictionary

---

Jus meum tuebor

---
Who is John Galt?

#11 Scottb64

Scottb64

Neptune

• Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

The A5 is a Light Sport aircraft with a 100hp engine nd a top speed of 121 mph. With added structure for water use it needed a exception to the the weight limit. Definitely not a hot rod, unless flown that way.

#12 Ath3na

Ath3na

Chaotic Neutral

• Members
  • 21,199 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

And a Lamborghini isn't a hotrod... Unless it's driven that way.

A supercomputer isn't a hotrod... Unless it's programmed that way.

The whole premise is predictably stupid.
Infosec:
A profession that turns normal people into whiskey drinking, swearing, paranoid, disheartened curmudgeons with no hope for the future of computers or humanity. - Urban Dictionary

---

Jus meum tuebor

---
Who is John Galt?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users